Royal Blog Tour Project 3 – Flower Pot
I hope you enjoyed the Royal Blog Tour – I know I did. Since I wasn’t able to give you all the details for my projects during the tour I’m glad you were able to return to see them now. Today I’m going to give you more information on my flower pot project. I haven’t done a tally yet but lots of people liked this one.
I went through several pots and several different ways to get the effect that I wanted. Stamping the image on the pot wasn’t too big an issue but getting the color on the flowers and the leaves was the trick for me. I tried a couple of things and then ran the pot under water to see what it would do – since you would have to water your plants I needed the pot to be able to get wet and stay the color I made. Finally I got the results that I wanted! And it turned out cute – don’t you think? And now you want to know what I did don’t you – so this was my final solution.
- Stamp the image in Chocolate Chip Craft ink – on this small pot I did have to roll the stamp carefully around the pot since it isn’t flat to get the full image. Just go slowly and make sure you are touching the stamp to the pot both at the top and the bottom. The Lavender image is narrower and probably wouldn’t have the same issue. Then cover in clear embossing powder and heat set.
- Use the Lovely Lilac Stampin’ Write Marker and color in the flowers – quickly cover with clear embossing powder and heat set. Now if you have craft ink in one of the purple shades then do what I did for the leaves (see the next step). I didn’t have any purple craft ink so I had to use the marker.
- Use a small paint brush and a drop of Old Olive Craft ink – and paint the leaves inside the outline. Let Dry.
Inside the pot is a bag of soil – first put in a ziploc bag and then inside one of our large cello bags tied with Old Olive Satin Ribbon and I added a tag with some Linen Thread. Then I stuck in the packet of seeds.
I also had this idea to make a plant marker – again the trick was what to do to let it get wet and not ruin it – so paper wasn’t going to work. I went down to my craft closet to get a big wood craft stick and saw that I had some wood squares left from an old scout project – that was my answer. And here is how I made it (and it is waterproof – the water rolls right off):
- Stamp the image in Chocolate Chip Craft ink on the square piece of wood, cover with Clear Embossing Powder and heat set. Don’t do it too long or you could burn the wood – or at least make it turn brown.
- Color the leaves and flowers with Stampin’ Write Markers – I used Old Olive and Lovely Lilac.
- Add the name by using a clean stamp and use a Black journler only on the name and stamp it on the wood.
- Cover the whole front of the wood piece with VersaMark ink and Clear Embossing Powder and heat set. If you wanted you could do the back of it too – I actually didn’t but now that I think about it I probably should have.
- Use Crystal Effects to glue the wood to a large wood craft stick.
I think this little flower pot would be a great little teacher gift – tell the teacher thanks for all the “thyme” they spent with your child this year. I did something similar years ago when my boys were younger. Or cute for Mother’s Day – use it for center pieces by actually planting a flower in it instead of the soil and seeds.
I hope you like this little project!
I’m a Guest Designer at Create with Connie & Mary: Summer Edition. Join today!
This week on Create with Connie and Mary we are having a “Tropical Party”! Every day during this week the team has created a project using the items that coordinate with the tropical set, die and paper! Mary found the footnote flip flops at a local store and just KNEW they would be PERFECT for a special project! And since we just HAD to do something with them…we are sharing them with YOU!
Leave a comment on the blog below on the given day and be entered into the drawings to win one! Each of us have two to give away. CLICK HERE for all the details and how you can get ADDITIONAL CHANCES TO WIN.
Tuesday May 4th – Connie Babbert – Inkspired Treasures
Winners will be announced for everything on Saturday, May 8th. To find out if you are a WINNER…you need to check the Create with Connie and Mary site no later than Friday, May 14th and send us your mailing address. Good Luck!