I found this idea while searching Stampin’ Up! Demonstrator blogs a few weeks ago.  I tried to go back and find the original blog that I saw the idea but I can not find it.  I have found several other blogs with this same idea and many other variations of it.  The original blog I found it on didn’t have specific instructions and I’m not positive that she actually used the Stampin’ Up! matchbox die I actually think hers was made with real matchboxes.  So I don’t know who to credit for the original idea but here is my version.

I added an extra box on the top to be box 25 to be opened on Christmas Day.  I used the Scallop Square Clear die to create the top and bottom.  I created a hinged lid and used the corduroy button and some silver cord as the closure.

I put most of this together over the Thanksgiving Holiday and I finished it here at home yesterday.  Ryan kept looking in it last night for candy.  Well there isn’t any yet.  I’m headed to the store shortly and will get some then.

I cut 24 matchboxes using the Matchbox Die and the Big Shot machine.  The drawer part was cut out of Designer Series Paper.  The papers I used were retired from last year and since I didn’t have enough of one pack left I combined two different packs to get this project done.  You need 6 full sheets of the 12×12 DSP to create the drawers plus extra to cover the sides of  the stacked boxes, the box on the top and the lid.  I fold up all the little drawers and if it all works right you don’t need any adhesive to hold them together.  I had a few that wouldn’t stay together so I just helped them along with some adhesive.

The outside of each matchbox was cut out of Chocolate Chip card stock.  I used 12″ x 12″ sheets and cut them into 3″ x 6″ pieces (I need to double check my measurement – but it is slightly shorter than the actual die-cut, I wanted to maximize my card stock so I had a smaller over hang to glue the box together than what the die gives you).   I used the Tombow Multipurpose adhesive to glue everything together for this project.  I glued together all the outside pieces of the matchboxes and then glued them into stacks of 3 tall.

I cut 3 5-1/2″ squares to use at the base, and in between the layers.  On the base I glued four stacks of the boxes so that each one faced out on a different side.  Then I glued the middle square to the top of those.  Then glued on the next four stacks of boxes – again so that each one faced out on one of the sides but opposite of the bottom layer.  Then glue the top square on.

Before sliding in the drawers I used the small hole punch on the Crop-a-dile to put a hole in the front of each drawer.  I tied a piece of ribbon into a small loop and poked it through the hole from the inside.  To keep from wasting a lot of ribbon I actually tied the loop while it was on the roll and then cut it off.  I have fat fingers and it takes more ribbon than what I actually need to get it around my finger and into the knot.  I used the 1/4″ Grosgrain ribbon – colors were Chocolate Chip, Old Olive, and Real Red.  Then I slid the drawers in on each side.

I created the numbers for the drawers using the Calendar Alphabet & Numbers stamp set.  I punched each number out with the 1/2″ circle punch and backed it with a 3/4″ circle punch in either Real Red, Chocolate Chip or Old Olive.  I just randomly glued them onto the different drawers.  I wanted to be a search and hunt and turn to all the different sides throughout the whole month, so I didn’t put them in order.

I stamped some additional images to add to the large side squares.  Stamp sets I used were:

Christmas Punch, Tree Trimmings, Patterned Pines, Delightful Decorations, Winter Post and Dasher. And I added one of the felt snowflakes from last year.  I believe these are available on the Stampin’ Up! clearance store – you can visit my website and click SHOP NOW to see if they are still available.

For the top I used the Stampin’ Up! Clear Scallop Square Die (and I have another great project to post later this week using this same die – it got A LOT of use over the holiday break).  The top is decorated with the die cuts – the GoGo Boots Alphabet Sizzlit Die set and the Merry Details Sizzlit Die.  You can’t see it but there is a piece of silver cord wrapped around the corduroy button to hold the lid shut.  I punched two 1/16″ holes in the red card stock – just under the Designer Series Paper.  The knot for the loop is hidden under the paper.  I’ll have to put a nice surprise in there.

I have been trying to find an idea that I liked for an advent project and this is my favorite so far.  I love all the coordinating products that we get from Stampin’ Up! and the beauty of stamps is that I can create my accents in what ever color I need them to be.  Enjoy!

Let the countdown begin……..