During the Blog Tour on Monday I showcased a card featuring the Cracked Glass Technique. I received many comments on this card and I wanted to share the technique with you.
The key is to use the Glassy Glaze Enamel Embossing Powder. Which is a thick clear embossing powder and creates a look like glass. If you have the correct supplies it is easy and just requires some wait time to achieve the look of cracked glass.
Cracked Glass Technique:
Here are the basic instructions:
- Stamp your image and color as desired on card stock. Cut or punch to the finished size.
- Apply VersaMark ink over the entire piece of card stock.
- Place the card stock inside the Powder Pal and cover the entire piece with Glassy Glaze Enamel Embossing Powder.
- Tap off excess powder. Use a heat tool to heat the powder until it has melted. I use the tip of my craft tweezers to hold the card stock still while I heat it.
- Add another layer of VersaMark ink and Glassy Glaze Enamel and heat again. It should begin to look like a thick layer of glass.
- Add a third layer and if desired add a fourth layer. I normally do three layers.
- After all the layers have been added place the card stock in the freezer to cool completely. The card stock may curl a bit while it is cooling – that is ok.
- Remove the card stock from the freezer and bend it until it cracks – bend and crack until you get the look that you want.
- To give it a more aged look sponge a dark color ink over the image allowing ink to get into the cracks.
- Clean away any excess ink from the glass with a paper towel.
- Add image to your card or scrapbook page and complete your project.
Here is aother sample that I made a couple of years ago. These stamp sets are now retired. I stamped the image and colored it with markers before adding the cracked glass over the top.
Thanks for visiting.
I am trying to finish a bunch of stuff today before I go tomorrow to our group retreat for the weekend. It should be alot of fun – everyone attending is preparing a project to share. So we prep our project for everyone and then over the weekend we will make all the projects and come home with lots of new ideas! I also have to make swaps – Yikes! I haven’t even started those but did come up with my idea last night as I went to sleep – luckily I still remember what it was!!
I’m also planning to have the May Wow Scrapbook Kit out tomorrow morning – so check out our blog at wowscrapbookkits.wordpress.com – for the new kit.
I’m planning a quick class for next week – a Mother’s Day Mini Class – I’m hoping to get that email out later today.
My May newsletter will go out probably on Sunday so if you are on my email list for my newsletter look for that.
Check back for information about another Blog Tour in May – I have signed up for a different group and need to decide what stamp set I am going to showcase.
And I’m sure I have other things that I can’t think of right now. I had a long list yesterday so that I wouldn’t forget anything.
Thanks for stopping by!